Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2026

2026 Season Countdown: #8 Jyaire Hill

 

Jyaire Hill (image via Yardbarker)

Name: Jyaire Hill
Height:
6’2″
Weight:
190 lbs.
High school:
Kankakee (IL) Kankakee
Position:
Cornerback
Class:
Redshirt junior
Jersey number:
#20
Last year:
I ranked Hill #9 and said he would be a starting cornerback with 40 tackles and 2 interceptions (LINK). He started thirteen games and made 36 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 1 sack, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble, and 5 pass breakups.
TTB Rating:
88

The big question heading into Hill's 2025 season was whether he had made the necessary jumps in maturity and preparation to be a #1 cornerback. By all accounts, that seemed to have happened, and it showed on the field. There appeared to be fewer missed tackles and fewer busted coverages coming from Hill's side of the field. He notched an interception against Ohio State and was named the team's Defensive Skill Player of the Year, which was a decent accomplishment, considering one of his teammates was Zeke Berry.

I ranked Hill #9 last year and maybe he's deserving of being higher than #8 this season. After all, I have yet to get to the aforementioned Berry. I would like to think that new defensive coordinator Jay Hill could use scheme and personnel - such as Shamari Earls - to work around the proven depth issues at cornerback. Michigan also has a few somewhat inexperienced corners like Jo'ziah Edmond, Jamarion Vincent, Jeremiah Lowe, and others to fill the void at outside corner. The Wolverines need one of those guys to step up this season, and I think that will happen, though I'm not sure which one. Regardless, I think Hill will be a very solid cornerback this season, and Michigan will need him as they face Dante Moore of Oregon, Julian Sayin of Ohio State, John Mateer of Oklahoma, and other solid quarterbacks.

Prediction: Starting cornerback; 40 tackles, 3 interceptions

4 comments:

  1. Solid in coverage for sure. He’s gone from play to very good

    But against the run? There’s work to do. And we’ll need help with a soft middle that lacks any depth

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Hill goes down we can plug in Earls...but who is the 3rd guy rotating in? Last year Michigan got exposed when Caleb Anderson proved unplayable against OSU and Hill/Berry were forced to go almost all game. Didn't work out well.

    Perhaps they shuffle the secondary around to keep Earls out of the starting lineup but not ideal. I just don't see Edmond, Lowe, or Vincent as reliable options this year. Hope I'm wrong but buzz hasn't been there like it should be/would be.

    Senior year came quick with HIll, who is probably the most talented player on the team and will go highest in the draft. On this team, with limited starpower, and no CB depth -- well I'm just glad we were able to hold onto him through the coaching change.

    If Michigan exceeds expectations this year I suspect it's because Hill has emerged as a 1st team all conference CB who shines in matchups against some very impressive WR units at Indiana, Oregon, and OSU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any improvement from Edmund would be welcomed. On rewatch, he was absolutely terrible even against New Mexico … that he’s close to playing meaningful snaps is worrying

      Delete
    2. Yes -- Edmond is supposedly CB4 and him seeing any meaningful snaps is terrifying. The buzz has been not good.

      Luckily Earls sounds ready to emerge into the rotation -- and Snowden can play outside corner too. I think we'll be alright but more than 1 injury to the secondary and things get dicey fast.

      Delete