Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year!

 

I know this is a day late, but it's 2024 now and we all have a chance to make some changes. I've never been a big proponent of New Year's resolutions, but I did want to share some of the things I've been doing for personal and physical health. Some of these are not new - in fact, most of them aren't - but I have started to refocus on some of these items.

I'm also wondering what some of you are doing. Perhaps we can learn from each other.

DIET

For the past few years, I have mostly switched to a low-carb diet. Chips, cookies, bread, even potatoes have largely gone away. I did have some Doritos at a holiday party and had my fair share of Christmas cookies over the past couple weeks. But aside from special occasions like holidays and maybe family birthdays, I stay away from sweets and junk food.

I had already been leaning in this direction, but for the month of January, I signed up for Dr. Paul Saladino's "Animal Based 30" challenge, which is an attempt to eat an animal-based diet for 30 days. I tend to tolerate animal protein better than plant proteins - which make me bloated and flatulent - so I'm buying into eating whole foods that are either animal proteins, fruit, or limited dairy products.

What I ate today:

  • LUNCH: Two grass-fed burgers with cheddar cheese and one piece of dark chocolate (a Christmas gift)
  • DINNER: 12 oz. flank steak cooked in a tablespoon of butter, 1 avocado, 2 teaspoons of honey, 1 oz. goat cheese

Supplements I take on a daily basis:

  • 360-480 mg of magnesium glycinate for sleep and preventing cramps (LINK)
  • 3-6 pills of grass fed bovine colostrum (LINK)
  • 6 pills of desiccated liver (LINK)
  • 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D3, plus K2 (LINK)

EXERCISE

Again, I've always been a frequent visitor to the gym - except during COVID when the gym was closed, which sucks - so the 1st of the year sucks, because the gym suddenly gets packed for about a month. But over the past week or so, I've changed up my workout routine. I was somewhat stuck in a rut, so I've changed to the concept of doing a single set to failure of various exercises. Yes, just one set of the following exercises. Occasionally, I'll throw in some other exercises, but these are my staples:

  • Biceps curls
  • Hammer curls
  • Skull crushers
  • Incline bench press
  • Lateral raises
  • Bent over rows
  • Leg extensions
  • Goblet squats
  • Calf raises

My warmup includes 5-8 minutes of walking on a treadmill at 3 mph at a 15-degree incline. And I try to finish each lifting session with 60 seconds hanging from a bar, pushing a sled, and/or a farmer's carry with 75- or 80-pound dumbbells for 60 seconds. After that I do a sauna session for 15-20 minutes, during which I read a book and sometimes stretch.

I try to do this routine 3-4 times a week. If I have time to go to the gym more, I usually make it an easier day with more walking at an incline and/or more time in the sauna.

MENTAL HEALTH

This has been the biggest change for me in the past couple years. I've mentioned this once or twice before, but the last 1.5 years have been pretty hellish on a personal level. They say whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, so I guess I'm a stronger person now. But lots of crazy things have happened, to the point that I could probably write a book. Very few of them have had to do with me, but mostly with people close to me - which means I've spent way too much time talking to doctors, lawyers, police officers, detectives, and others. It's been a lifetime's worth of drama in the span of about 18 months.

How have I dealt with it?

  • Exercise (see above). Walking helps a lot, but I also feel a lot better and more relaxed after I lift and/or sit in the sauna.
  • Journal. I had to learn to be careful not to just rehash events, but to try to tap into writing down my thoughts about what was happening. I also try to include things I'm grateful for, which is important when it seems like a lot is going wrong.
  • Therapy. Every couple weeks for the last several months, I spend an hour with a therapist. Just like with the journal, though, I want to encourage you to go to therapy with a plan. It's very easy to go in and just vent or run through events - and sometimes you need that - but I find it's a lot more helpful to look inward and figure out why I feel certain things rather than focusing on what's happening around me. I'm probably past the point now where I think therapy is absolutely necessary, but there was a time where the therapy sessions probably stopped me from flipping out on someone.

Anyway, these are all some ways I've learned to take care of myself. I'm physically stronger now on many lifts than I ever have been, and I've fixed some minor health issues I had with my bloodwork (low vitamin D, high triglycerides, etc.). After diving into the nutrition and health space pretty heavily over the past few years, it's been truly life changing to figure out how much my health can be altered by specifically targeting issues with diet, exercise, sleep, etc.

What are you doing to take care of yourself?

(I swear I won't judge anyone who is doing a New Year's Resolution. They've just never worked for me as an individual, but we're all different.)

6 comments:

  1. Sorry you're having to battle.

    Look into adding some Maxick to your exercise routine.

    https://breakingmuscle.com/strongman-profile-maxick-teaches-us-the-lost-art-of-muscle-control/

    https://legendarystrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Max-Sick-Front-Lever.jpg

    Get his book, "Muscle Control" It's cheap and an inspiring read. Having suffered some joint injuries playing games with balls, and arguing with horses, I now use his method every day, rather than lifting or running, neither of which I am able to do enough of anymore. I have friends who use the approach to finish off a muscle group after lifting, I use it exclusively for strength building. I am significantly stronger in terms of my ability to generate power now than I was 20 years ago, strictly from applying Maxick's approach to exercise. In the interest of full disclosure, I am also not sitting on my dead ass behind a desk all day scrambling for money.

    I combine Maxick's approach with that of Sri Swami Rama's "Exercise Without Movement". Rama, who is possibly to likely not a very nice person, wrote a very useful book on excercise and to a much lesser degree mediation through exercise. The two books fit together nicely.

    https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31708520824&ref_=ps_ggl_17721428148&cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade_20to50-_-product_id=COM9780893890896USED-_-keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhc-sBhCEARIsAOVwHuTcTxsA_ok6sjpJg1E8Di00SqcVwPApke4eu5s2ATxVeC86jlDXoQUaAlVZEALw_wcB

    I try to support Abe Books directly even tho they are on Amazon.

    Roanman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max Sick died at the age of 79 in Buenois Aires, where he owned a health studio and gym. He was extremely active even at this age, and on this particular day Max rode a bicycle after he had been wrist wrestling with one of his friends. They found him lying on his back in bed with a goodbye note under his right leg. The note said:

      My heart is beating rather slow, I feel extremely cold, I think it will be over soon. Remember the infinite is our freedom manifested through our consciousness.

      Roanman

      Delete
  2. Your mention of meals indicated lunch and dinner, but no breakfast. Does that imply intermittent fasting is in your regimen? If so, what's your schedule?

    Vitamin D: for years I had a low serum D level that went undetected because testing for it was not a standard part of a blood panel. I now take 5000IU a day of D3+K2 which has brought my levels back to normal and stable.

    Therapy: I'm happy it's working for you. My experience is it's all a function of the therapist you have. Good therapists are worth their weight in gold, but they are rare; many are mostly ineffective; some are downright harmful.

    Football: I enjoy Michigan winning, but I am not invested in their outcomes. In the past I was to a harmful degree. To me, the best part about college football is the opportunity for young men to mature in a structured teamwork environment. To that end, I think the culture Harbaugh has created is his greatest legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat 2-3 meals per day, depending on how I feel. Usually I feel better with just two. I ate late on New Year's Eve, so I didn't feel like eating until 2:00 p.m. or so on New Year's Day. This morning I also still feel satisfied at around 10:00 a.m., so I'll probably eat around noon. But if I'm still not hungry, I'll push it to later. I don't really have a schedule. I go more on whether I'm hungry or not. But I have done fasting in the past. The longest I did was a 72-hour fast. I actually had a lot of success with it for losing some weight, but my fasting efforts were sidetracked by all the stress of the past year or so. It takes a lot of willpower to do those longer fasts, and I just haven't really had that, to be honest.

      Yeah, it's important to take K2 with the D3. I actually went to a pharmacy and asked about K2, and the pharmacy tech was very confused about why anyone would want to take K2, which concerned me. The link I posted above includes K2 with the D3 product. I also eat a lot of eggs, which have K2 in the yolks, so there are times where I just take D3 if I'm eating eggs at the same time.

      Delete
  3. good for you thunder, nice little program. sounds like youre taking care of yourself which is always important and can be particularly helpful when other areas of your life jump the rails. heres to a better 24! you get to enjoy a national championship game to start the year which is pretty exciting.

    ive had to transition my training in recent years as old athletic injuries continue to catch up. i swim laps at the gym 3-4 days/week which has been outstanding. cant recommend enough to people with pool access. great cardio and full body workout.
    also usually lift weights tues/thurs before swimming - 30 mins of laps (vs 60 mins swimming on non lifting days) after 30-40 min of squats, dumbbell chest, biceps, rows and lat pulldowns, rotator cuff work with bands. maybe mix in a few other exercises. usually 3 sets each.

    diet is the big one, especially for anyone over 30. very limited sugar. nothing crazy, basic diet. no breakfast here, just coffee around 530. ive tried everything over past few years and found this works really well - after the rough first 2 weeks of adjusting to no breakfast! typically a large protein shake at work around 1030-11. then a snack of fruit and trail mix or something like that around 3 or maybe a quest bar which are great. dinner we usually cook proteins like steak or salmon with veggies, some carb, big salad at 7. dinner is a large meal. approx gallon of water throughout the day. if im snacking at night its usually popcorn or pretzels with the kids. also sometimes supplement a workout drink if i need a little something. certainly not a bodybuilding program but then again im just looking to maintain health not go crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good on you to focus on your health

    I almost never eat junk food, and exercise A LOT; even when I'm not exercising, I stay active ... 25-3oK steps a day. I tried a half dozen therapists after retiring from Active Duty, but most were unbearable. Fortunately, right about 2yrs ago I found a good one, and actually look forward to our sessions

    I imagine you're very busy, but if time allows, I highly recommend volunteering. We do work for habitat for humanity, youth groups, and the food shelter, and - not only does it boost my mood - but has improved relationships across my immediate family

    Happy New Year, and I hope 2o24 is a strong one for you 〽️

    ReplyDelete