Name: Smith Snowden
Height: 5'10″
Weight: 188 lbs.
High school: Lehi (UT) Skyridge
Position: Cornerback
Class: Senior
Jersey number: #3
Last year: Snowden played at Utah. He started thirteen games on defense (and started two of those games on offense as well) with 37 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 2 interceptions, 10 pass breakups, 13 catches for 57 yards, and 8 carries for 40 yards and 1 touchdown.
Michigan lost a lot from the defensive backfield in the transition from Sherrone Moore to Kyle Whittingham. T.J. and Tevis Metcalf decided to get out of town, and so did Brandyn Hillman (Virginia) and Jayden Sanders (now at Notre Dame). So the Wolverines needed to refill the talent pool, and one of the players they decided to bring in was Smith Snowden, a rarity in college football who is capable of playing both ways. Offensive coordinator Jason Beck used him on different kinds of jet sweeps and bubbles, and he was a mainstay at cornerback on defense.
I know some people are excited about Snowden's potential, but I have some reservations about his ability to compete against the better teams in the Big Ten. There still seems to be some question about whether he will start in the slot or outside, but he's seen as a starter, regardless. After spending some time over the past few months watching him play, I think his tackling and ability to take on blocks could give him a lower ceiling than some think. This is not to say that I think he will be a hole in the defense, but I'm pumping the brakes a little bit on some of the hype I have seen.
Defensive coordinator Jay Hill has talked about three guys having the potential to play in the slot (Snowden, Jyaire Hill, Zeke Berry), and it sounds like Shamari Earls has been playing well on the outside as the #3 corner. I think it will be important for the cornerbacks to stay healthy, because Michigan has a solid top four and then complete unknowns. We will see a lot of Snowden this fall, perhaps even at punt returner or kickoff returner. And I will be interested to see if Michigan tries to use him on bubble screens and jets like he was used in Salt Lake City, but I'm guessing his offensive usage will be minimal because Michigan has more talent at receiver than Utah had in 2025.
Prediction: Starting cornerback; 35 tackles, 2 interceptions

I appreciate the words of caution. With both Snowden and Daley I am both excited and worried. They are clearly good players with some elite skills (speed and strength, respectively) but a big question remains. Will overall performance translate at a higher level of competition?
ReplyDeleteThe fact of the matter is that the Big12 is not on the level of SEC or B10, certainly not on a week to week basis. The transitive property is mostly BS but I think it's indicative here -- Oregon beat Texas Tech 23-0. Texas Tech beat Utah 34-10. Utah ain't played anybody and the UU to UM transfers --They're on another level now. Welcome to the big leagues.
Snowden is good, unquestionably, but I think Thunder is right that he may be getting a little overhyped considering that he's not even considered an NFL draft selection despite elite size and proven performance at the college level. He's small like Sainristil but is he tough and smart like Sainristil? We'll see.
I'm not too worried about it for 2026 -- he should be a really good college player once again -- but when push comes to literal shove against Indiana, Oregon, and OSU I have some concern.
Nonetheless he's a huge addition to the roster -- elite speed is always a good thing. I put him at 7 on my version of this list mostly because of what Thunder said -- Michigan doesn't have a lot of proven depth in the secondary if he gets hurt. The other thing I appreciate about Snowden is positional flexibility. With Berry, Moore, and Snowden we've got 3 guys who can be moved around to ensure the best 5 DBs are out there most of the time, even if an injury strikes.
I’m looking forward to Snowden; he’s a P4 talent at a position of need
ReplyDeleteWhere I am far more concerned is DT. We have an okay Captain and a guy who hasn’t been good. Behind them is … nothing. Guards & Centers will be able to work their way to the second level and find … a bigger problem at LB
I’d take a few Smith Snowdens up front and be very grateful