Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Why "Blue Chip Players" Chose Their Schools


Why am I including a picture of myself?  Shut up, that's why.

There was an article in the Detroit News that gave recruits a chance to explain why they chose their respective schools.  Many people on the internets have taken it to reflect extremely poorly on Michigan.  I don't really see that.   Here are some of the more interesting comments:

1. Lawrence Thomas, LB - Renaissance High School (Detroit)
"Why not Michigan? They had problems. There were some past experiences with other Renaissance players that I didn't like. Plus, Rich Rodriguez sent an assistant to our school to recruit me. He wouldn't even send the defensive coordinator, just an assistant. Then we'd hear that Rich Rod would be in Florida recruiting."

Interpretation: Some of the coaches at Renaissance think former Renaissance players were treated poorly at Michigan, even though TE Carson Butler was constantly in trouble and FB/DE Andre Criswell couldn't cut it on the field.  I can't stand it when troublemakers and subpar athletes aren't treated like royalty!

8. Taiwan Jones, LB - Anchor Bay High School (New Baltimore)
"Why not Michigan? When I went there to visit, I didn't think it was the right fit. Just the campus, the way they talked to me. I went to the UConn game (last year) and the crowd showed the other recruits all the attention, not me."

Interpretation: Michigan's coaches didn't recruit me, and the fans were jerks because they had no clue who I was.

Notice that when asked "Why not Michigan State?", the Michigan commits - Brennen Beyer, Justice Hayes, and Delonte Hollowell - essentially said "I just didn't see myself at Michigan State."

Perhaps the cruelest part of the entire article is when they ask recruits who were never really contacted by the Wolverines, "Hey, why didn't you choose the most successful program in the state?"  As if they even had a choice.

It would be like asking Halle Berry, "Why aren't you dating Thunder from Touch the Banner?"  What would they expect her to say?  The truth?  She wouldn't want to be dragged down into that pit of misery, not again.  To save face she would have to say that she wasn't interested. 

But in reality, I think Halle Berry is a little old for me.  She's probably got stretch marks from having a baby.  And frankly, I saw Monster's Ball - I don't want to touch anything that's come in contact with Billy Bob Thornton.  Sister, please. 

Emanuela de Paula and I are doing just fine, thank you very much.

6 comments:

  1. "Hey, why didn't you choose the most successful program in the state?"

    The last 3 years that would be Michigan State ... unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree with this post. Taiwan Jones certainly could turn into a solid player in 3-5 years, but why ask him his thoughts on Michigan when he didn't have an offer from Michigan?

    Your Halle Berry analogy is spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Hoke should start telling his recruits to badmouth MSU. If you can't beat em, join em?

    -Lank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how they have won three straight years and we just went through a messy coaching change yet we still pulled in a better recruiting class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont see anything that the michigan state/any other school commits said as offensive towards michigan. thomas said that he/people around him thought former players from his school went to michigan were treated and he said that he felt like he was a low priority for michigan while msu threw the house at him. at least he didnt do wat Austin Sefarian-Jenkins did to texas this year: took picture with UT commits throwing up hook 'em sign at summer camp, publicly said UT was his #1 for a few months, fished for a texas offer, committed to washington, admitted that he was only talking to texas to get washington and his commitment more press and hype. <---- THAT is a dick move

    -horn

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ horn 11:11 p.m.

    It's not really offensive so much, just a little silly. I guess high school kids shouldn't be expected to say smart things, though.

    ReplyDelete