Tuesday, August 10, 2021

2021 Season Countdown: #28 William Wagner

 

William Wagner (image via MGoBlue)

Name: William Wagner
Height:
6'1"
Weight:
247 lbs.
High school:
Alpharetta (GA) Alpharetta
Position:
Long snapper
Class:
Redshirt sophomore
Jersey number:
#49
Last year:
I did not rank Wagner. He started six games.
TTB Rating:
N/A

You probably forgot that Michigan's starting long snapper opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID concerns. That long snapper, Camaron Cheeseman, became a 6th round pick of the Washington Football Team even without playing the season, which is pretty impressive.

So in stepped Wagner, whom I did not rank in the 2020 Season Countdown. Wagner started all six games and did well, with "did well" meaning you probably didn't know who the long snapper was.

Wagner returns as one of two long snappers in the program, along with redshirt freshman Greg Tarr. I have no reason to expect Wagner to be replaced, so here he is, a quasi-starter, at #28.

Prediction: Starting long snapper

8 comments:

  1. I'll admit I did a double take when I saw the name. I hope he is extremely successful and therefore entirely forgettable within a couple years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Though if he's entirely forgettable, how high should he be listed?

      Delete
    2. Higher than if he isn't.

      Delete
    3. I don't have too much quarrel with the rankings so far as there is just so much uncertainty this year.

      I think Paige and Welschoff end up belonging in the top 20. But it really depends on what the defensive packages look like. I THINK those two will be on the field more often than the 1st down vs Wisconsin guys. But we'll see.

      Delete
  2. -LANK

    Melting down again with these multiple posts. Someone get me some water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will make it through the season, even if I have to carry you

      GO BLUE

      Delete
    2. I'll be there till the end, even if we go 0-11. Will others? I suspect there are many who, like our post protagonist Dick Wagger, would be very directly involved in a punt.

      Delete
  3. 6'1" and 247? That photo doesn't look like someone who's 247 pounds. Still, if I recall a previous conversation about how a long snapper needs to have some bulk to avoid getting shoved around too much.

    ReplyDelete