Sunday, August 1, 2021

2021 Season Countdown: #35 Julius Welschof

 

Julius Welschof (image via Twitter)

Name: Julius Welschof
Height:
6'6"
Weight:
286 lbs.
High school:
Miesbach (Germany) FOS Altoetting
Position:
Defensive tackle
Class:
Redshirt junior
Jersey number:
#96
Last year:
I ranked Welschof #67 and said he would be a backup defensive tackle (LINK). He made 6 tackles and 0.5 sacks.
TTB Rating:
78

After redshirting in 2018 and playing in just one game in 2019, Welschof became a rotational player in 2020. An athletic big man, Michigan used him in pass rush situations, lining him up at defensive tackle and having him loop and stunt. When forced into action against the run, he did not perform well. I still have nightmares of him getting pushed around against Wisconsin.

There has been positive buzz about him this off-season. How much value should those rumors get? I don't know. I do know that if I were putting together a 3-4 defense, I would really like having a 6'6", 290-ish pound guy playing 4i. The biggest question is whether Welschof has improved at defeating run blocks (down blocks, combo blocks, etc.). If Shaun Nua has not improved those skills, then Welschof will probably remain a sub-package guy.

Prediction: Backup defensive tackle

5 comments:

  1. I'm surprised to see him this low. With our DL (supposedly) getting bigger and the lack of production last year from the guys ahead of him inside, Welshoff should be in line to be a key player.

    If he isn't Michigan is probably in trouble. I think I'd put in in the high teens or low 20s even though he's not necessarily a starter yet. DE is such an important position.

    -LANK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would take a lot of convincing to have me put an unproven backup defensive tackle in the top 22 (starter) range of the countdown.

      Delete
    2. I too believe in learning from history.

      https://touch-the-banner.com/2019-season-countdown-1b-donovan-jeter/

      Delete
  2. I'm with Thunder. I hope he's put on some size/strength, and they worked on his run stop ability. The athleticism is definitely there

    But we just don't know. Could be another year of watching with my hand over my eyes

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There has been positive buzz about him this off-season"

    Must be about some pass rushing role in certain packages.

    ReplyDelete