Thursday, June 2, 2011

2011 Countdown: #88 Tony Posada

Tony Posada looks like a Michigan lineman

Name: Tony Posada
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 315 lbs.
High school: Plant High School in Tampa, FL
Position: Guard/tackle
Class: Freshman
Jersey number: #79
Last year: Posada was a high school senior (commitment post here)

TTB Rating: Incomplete, due to lack of film

I never got a great feel for Posada because film on him was scarce.  He's looked a little soft in the body in virtually every picture I've seen, and most 300+ pounders in high school have some work to do on their conditioning.  As for his technique, footwork, and athleticism, well, that's anyone's guess right now.  I'll reserve judgment.  However, I was impressed with former Michigan offensive line coach Greg Frey's ability to scout and develop offensive linemen, so I do have some faith that Posada will at least be serviceable.

But it's usually a safe bet for true freshman linemen to redshirt, and I don't expect anything different from Posada.  Offensive guard is a deep position group on this unit, so he can take his time to learn the position.  In fact, I wouldn't expect to see him compete for playing time until at least 2013.

Projection: Redshirt

7 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play this year. We're pretty thin on the OL and we can't fill out the two-deep with non true froshes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Anonymous 9:53 p.m.

    Well, I think Posada is a guard, and we have plenty of guards (Barnum, Omameh, Khoury, Mealer, Pace). And I think Chris Bryant is more ready to play than Posada.

    Furthermore, we are pretty thin at OT, but walk-on Erik Gunderson seems like an okay backup at RT. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play over Posada/Bryant if a backup at OT is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was under the impression that Barnum or Omamah could slide over to OT if two of our three primary OTs was to get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Lankownia 1:22 a.m.

    I think you're correct, although hopefully it doesn't get to that point. But yes, I think Omameh would probably bump out to OT if we got thin at that position. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but I do think Gunderson would probably be ahead of Posada on the depth chart this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Pace a pure center? I am under the impression that his size will prevent him from playing anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Anonymous 9:07 a.m.

    Pace was playing guard in the spring.

    ReplyDelete