Sunday, April 3, 2022

5 Quick Hitter Spring Game Thoughts

 

Mason Graham

I have about 10 minutes before I have to go somewhere, so here are a few quick thoughts:

  1. DT Mason Graham looks college ready. I was late to really evaluate Graham because he committed during football season. (Here's my commitment post link.) But I really liked what I saw from him on Saturday. He already looks physically ready to play, and he has some heavy hands for a freshman.
  2. OT Trente Jones looks like the guy at right tackle. There were times where Jones made it look easy at right tackle. Maybe that was just a matter of who he was facing off against, but he anchors really well and uses his leverage. He also has quick feet, which is probably why he was used as an extra TE last season.
  3. Most improved from last year: DE Braiden McGregor. Braiden McGregor looks more physically ready to go this spring than he did in the fall. Last year he had a brace on his leg as he recovered from a nasty knee injury, and maybe these extra few months have helped him rehab it more and get more comfortable. He had a better get-off in the spring game than I've seen from him since he got to Michigan.
  4. WR Darrius Clemons looks like a future star. This has been a big takeaway from a lot of people, so I couldn't avoid it. He still needs to get better at some of the nuances of route running and releases, but he's big and fast and knows how to track the ball in the air. Route running often comes with age and experience. I think he's going to be better than Nico Collins.
  5. QB Alex Orji might not have a future at QB. I hate to judge an early enrollee freshman in his first spring game, but his passes were all over the place and somewhat wobbly. I think he completed 1/9 passes. He does have some running ability, but he's not a truly dynamic runner because he lacks breakaway speed. Maybe he could be a RB and get some Wildcat-type snaps down the road (like Hassan Haskins did a lot in 2019-2020), or perhaps he should move to H-back or linebacker.
  6. Bonus because I have one minute: QB Davis Warren. I mentioned in the 2021 season countdown (LINK) that I thought Michigan got a steal in walk-on quarterback Davis Warren. He looked good and was the second-best QB to play on Saturday. I would put him in before Alan Bowman, who has a weak arm and makes some questionable decisions.

9 comments:


  1. I was watching Graham specifically whenever he came down to my end of the field. I saw him go for a ride once for sure, another time kind of, but both of those were doubles, one was kind of a triple. Oluwatimi was absolutely not pushing Graham around by himself, nor was Crippen, who I though looked big and strong.

    The only time I thought Graham didn’t look really good was on stunts. You could see him having to think. Get him one on one with somebody on or near his nose, and he was a problem.

    I thought it interesting that the Maize team had all the centers. One of Graham’s rides came courtesy of Oluwatimi, Crippen and Anderson playing center and guards. That's a lot of low center of gravity working on you.

    I really wish Raheem Anderson wasn't so invested in the center position. He's so thick through the lower half of his body and not that big from the waste up, he just looks like a D lineman that can step by you and win gaps over and over with that quick get off he has. He just really reminds me of a lot of Michigan’s real good “Middle Guards” over the years, particularly Billy Harris.

    Zinter took the starting snaps for the blue team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for more details on Graham.
      Is there anything to report about Dominick Giudice?

      Delete
  2. I watched Braiden McGregor probably for the first time ever. He runs really well, I'm not sure he's strong enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I hate to judge an early enrollee freshman in his first spring game, but his passes were all over the place and somewhat wobbly."

    I don't think you're off in doing it. His accuracy was talked about immediately upon his commitment.
    I said things about it too. And I don't think he's going to make it at Michigan. I don't see him even making it in the P5 as a "project QB". I think he's going to go to the transfer portal--that is, if he stays at QB. Maybe you're right, and he will be at LB. Because I don't know where he can catch on at offense. I thought maybe TE. But you said you think he's not tall enough to be a TE.

    I wasn't at the game, and I guess there's no video of the game available. So I like that you filled us in on Mason Graham. I really hope Mike Elston is going to be for the D Line what Ed Warinner was for the O Line, and there's a top to bottom change it the D Line.

    Did you see anything on Kenneth Grant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtBBgHhCchE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that link!!
      After watching Orji, Thunder is right, his passes are really bad. But he can run a little. I still don't know where's he's going to fit in though.
      Now seeing Davis Warren in the scrimmage, and not just highlights, I now understand the excitement. He could be a starter very soon. It's great to have a 3rd string QB that good! QN insurance depth.

      Delete
  5. That's exciting to hear about Graham. Always important to consider who he's competing against but our interior OL depth is good. I think Roanman addressed it above. Sounds legit, which is a tremendous development for the team regardless of if Jeter is back or not. Mazi is probably gone after 2022 so Graham can hopefully be the next man up.

    Also good to see the positive thoughts about McGregor, Jones and Clemons. Hearing everything you'd want out of Jones this spring.

    I'm not too worried about Orji. You never know and all that but the odds on him starting were always long and there's plenty of time for things to sort themselves out behind McNamara and McCarthy. Especially with Warren coming on and old man Bowman in the background. We're good at QB - they'll either figure out a package for Orji or they won't. If it's not mean to be then he'll move but those things can take time (e.g., Gentry). Trusting the process and the coaches.

    ReplyDelete