Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Getting to know Maurice Hurst, Jr.




Westwood (MA) Xaverian Brothers defensive tackle Maurice Hurst, Jr is a high-intensity player that the Michigan coaches are going to love to work with.  The athletic defensive tackle plays with a lot of energy and a great motor. With his passion for the game and willingness to serve his community and help others, Maurice Hurst, Jr. has Michigan man written all over him. He kindly took the time out of his preparation and busy schedule to answer a few questions about becoming a Wolverine.
  
Can you elaborate on your decision of become a Wolverine, what stood out the most about Michigan, and what was your deciding factor?
 “The tradition is what stood out to me the most. Before I even had an offer to the university, I knew that it would be my top school. Another thing was the coaches. Coach Hoke is a very family oriented guy and that’s the type of person that I am also. With a Defensive Coordinator like Coach Mattison and his history how can you not put all of your faith inside of him and know he’s going to set your team up to make plays on the defensive side of the ball?”

Have the coaches discussed contributing next year, and do you have a preference in redshirting or not?
 Coaches haven’t discussed whether I would redshirt or not and of course I would like to contribute right away. I want to go in there and dominate and if they think I need to redshirt, so be it.”

How has your father's experience in college and the NFL helped you with your path to becoming a collegiate athlete?
“I don’t really have a relationship with my father but knowing my father made it to the next level, I know that I have high expectations in the football world and need to live up and exceed those expectations.”

 Have the coaches discussed a playing weight for you, and where are you most comfortable?
“No, they haven’t really discussed a weight for me to play at with the coaches but between 285 and 290 would probably be the best weight for me to maintain my speed.”

 Is there a game on the schedule next year that you have circled?
Every game to me is important but the Notre Dame game is probably one of the ones that I am most excited about. It is only going to be the second one under the lights, and the first one was so exciting with that catch by Roundtree.”

 We saw the moves on your highlight tape. Any dreams of a goal line fullback package at Michigan?
I love being versatile and utilizing all of my athletic abilities and just love the sport.  If I had a chance to ever carry the ball in a Michigan uniform, it would be a wonderful experience.”

 Any idea of who you will be rooming with when you arrive at Ann Arbor?
 “No, I’m not sure yet who I’m going to room with.”

Do you have any pregame superstitions?
“Listen to music.”

Meal of choice the night before the game?
“Chicken Parm.”

Hobbies outside of football?
“Playing Madden and I love to volunteer my time to my community.”

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really good kid. Nice interview. Looking forward to seeing this guy in the Winged helmet.

    ReplyDelete