Weight: 211 lbs.
High school: Des Moines (IA) Dowling Catholic
Position: Wide receiver
Class: Redshirt sophomore
Jersey number: #82
Last year: I ranked Darboh #25 and said he would start at split end. He broke his foot prior to the season and missed the entire year.
Darboh had a rough year in 2013. He developed a rapport with quarterback Devin Gardner during the spring of 2013 season and entered fall camp as a favorite target. Despite not making a single catch during the 2012 campaign, he was going to be a frequent target. Then he broke his foot in August, had surgery, and missed the remainder of the year. In his stead, Michigan's receiving corps did well for themselves: Jeremy Gallon set records, Devin Funchess developed into a rising star, and Jehu Chesson grew up a little bit.
Here comes the 2014 season, and we still don't know exactly what to expect out of Darboh. Gallon is gone, and Funchess isn't messing around as a tight end anymore. There's one starting wideout spot available right now, and the battle for it comes down to Darboh, Chesson, and freshman Freddy Canteen. My guess is that Darboh will start opposite Funchess, because the coaches value his size and experience, and Gardner seems to like him. Some people might rank a starting wide receiver higher on a list like this, but the presence of Chesson would soften the blow of losing Darboh for any length of time. Michigan also has several other players who can take occasional snaps, such as Da'Mario Jones, Jaron Dukes, Drake Harris, and Maurice Ways.
Prediction: Starting split end; 30 catches, 450 yards, 4 touchdowns
Seems high to me, since Chesson is more experienced at this point and Freddy Canteen is going to win 4 Heismans. Funchess is OK too, I guess.ReplyDelete
Here is my #20-50
23. Kugler – reflects a lack of faith in Braden
24. Braden – wouldn’t it be nice…
25. Bolden – first LB in
26. Hayes – 3rd down back, maybe more
27. Chesson – edges Darboh due to health, experience
30. D.Green – would be a lot higher if Smith wasn’t around
31. D.Smith – would be a lot higher if Green wasn’t around
34. Stribling – star potential
35. Cole – red-shirts or starts
36. Norfleet – options at KR reduce his value, still a screen/bubble threat
39. Williams – not sold he’ll get passed for lead blocking TE
42. Marshall – freshman pass-rusher
43. Burzynski – OL is just such a huge need…
45. D.Thomas – doubt he makes an impact till senior year
Unless I missed you ranking Canteen, I don't understand how you can rank Darboh behind Canteen when you project Darboh as the starter.ReplyDelete