Saturday, December 15, 2012

David Dawson, Wolverine . . . again

Detroit (MI) Cass Tech offensive guard David Dawson (image via Rivals)
Detroit (MI) Cass Tech offensive guard David Dawson committed to Michigan again today.  He originally committed to the Wolverines in February but . . . well, you can find the story here.

My opinion on Dawson hasn't really changed since he committed the first time, so here's his original commitment post.  As far as I know, he hasn't released any highlights from his senior year, so I might recalibrate my projection if I see a little bit more recent highlights.

His updated rankings are as follows:

RATINGS
ESPN: 4-star OG, #1 OG, 84 grade, #87 overall
Rivals: 4-star OG, #6 OG, #151 overall
Scout: 4-star OG, #8 OG, #182 overall
247 Sports: 4-star OG, #6 OG, 94 grade, #108 overall

We had a spirited discussion recently about whether Dawson should have been re-offered by Michigan coaches.  You can find that discussion here if interested.

Dawson (and teammate Delano Hill) gives Michigan 24 commits in a class that will almost certainly reach 25, if not more.  As the fifth offensive lineman in the class, Michigan could sit tight or perhaps pursue another commitment from someone like Corona (CA) Centennial's Cameron Hunt, particularly if redshirt junior offensive tackle Taylor Lewan declares for the NFL Draft.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to have him aboard. I think people lose sight of how young he is, but I'm glad the coaches gave him a second chance. We desperately need depth, especially with the interior line. A much welcomed addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would still go after Hunt and Reon Dawson. We have room to take 6 linemen, and since McQuay is most likely not an option, the acquisition of R Dawson would allow us the possibility of letting either Stribling to Lewis to play receiver. I think we have a decent shot at getting Green, but I am getting this vibe that something about Michigan is not sitting well with him... either the weather or perhaps the lack of Michigan backs in the NFL...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Dawson!

    Hopefully you have a post on Delano Hill before the Lions game tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to have him back. I think there's a high liklihood of a true freshman OL playing on the interior in 2013, so I think Michigan should continue to recruit the position(s).

    ReplyDelete