Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Adam Breneman Answers Your Questions

Class of 2013 tight end Adam Breneman
As stated in his "Ask a Question" post, Adam Breneman is a class 2013 tight end prospect out of Camp Hill, Pennsylvania who holds offers from more than 20 FCS schools, including Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Miami (FL). He recently took time to answer reader questions on a variety of topics.

Academics: "I was raised my whole life to put academics first. I realize that at some point football is going to end, and I'll get a job and support a family, and that's the reason why academics are so important to me. There's a lot more to life than just football . . . I'm going to major in Business. Michigan's obviously one of the best academically. They have a great history, a great business school. They might not be on-par with the Stanfords and the Notre Dames and the schools like that, but they're one of the best options academic-wise out there."

NFL Ambitions: "One of my goals is to play in the NFL; there's no doubt about that, but very few people have the chance to play in the NFL. I don't want to take anything for granted. If you just slide by and assume you're going to play in the NFL, you might be in for a rude awakening by the time you graduate college . . . My two favorite players are [New England Patriot] Rob Gronkowski and [Philadelphia Eagle] Brent Celek. He [Celek] is actually the reason I started to wear number 87."

Factors in Recruitment: "When I'm looking at a school, the first thing is academics and where they stand as far as their academic reputation. And then I'm looking at the way I'm going to be used in the offense. I like catching the ball; I like being a play maker - I want to be able to do that in college. And then it's the relationships that you have with the coaching staff. You're going to be around those guys a lot, so if you don't like 'em, it'll make for a long four years . . . Football is football no matter how hot it is outside or how cold it is, but location will play a little bit of a factor. It's not a huge thing but a school that is closer to home will have a little bit of an advantage over a school that is farther away . . . I do look at depth charts; I do look at who they have, but the bottom line is that you're going to have to compete wherever you go . . . ."

Where Michigan Stands: "Right now I'm open to everyone, no matter where they are or what conference they're in. I mean, I have some opinions on some schools so obviously I have some favorites in my mind, but I'm staying open and I don't have a top schools list or anything yet . . . But yeah, let's just say if I had a top schools list, then Michigan would be in it. I really like the coaches, and I think they'll be in it to the end with me . . . When you have guys like the guys who are at Michigan who are trying to recruit me, it says a lot about U of M and how much they want me. Shane Morris is a great example. He's been trying to recruit me just as hard as the coaches are. So when there's an especially developed player like Shane Morris who I know will be throwing me the ball, that's another advantage . . . ."

Adam holds a 3.9 GPA and is currently 6'5'' and 225 lbs. Although he acknowledges that he's a bit "undersized weight-wise" for a tight end right now, Adam expects to fill out naturally and "go into college around 235-240 lbs." His hand-timed 40 yard-dash times range between "the high 4.5s and the high 4.6s." During his discretionary time, Adam enjoys reading - sports books in particular - yet his "favorite book of all time" is To Kill a Mockingbird.

Showing phenomenal perspective throughout the interview, Adam closed our conversation with this thought regarding his demanding schedule and relentless recruitment: "It can be overwhelming and I get stressed out with it sometimes, but then I think about all the kids in the world who dream of being in this position, and I get to live it; it's a reality for me . . . . This whole process is just such a big blessing."

Bonus: Check out Thunder's scouting report on Breneman here.

10 comments:

  1. Are you really sitting there with your finger on the trigger waiting every night for 10 sharp and then again every morning for 7 sharp?

    That's fairly anal behavior there Thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron Kramer is #87. Will that be a problem for this young recruit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should ask him why he yet to announce he will attend Penn State.

    ReplyDelete
  4. U.S. News and world report has Michigan's B-School at #14. Notre Dame is at #37. (Stanford is #1).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe Michigan's business program is ranked #14 and ND's is ranked #37. Just sayin' Adam =)Also, other than USNews, in virtually every other major ranking (World Rankings, The Times rankings, etc.) Michigan is ranked miles ahead of ND.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to hear that Shane is such a recruiting machine. That kid is awesome in many respects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Top 10 undergrad business schools.

    http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2011/09/06/2012-best-colleges-preview-top-10-business-programs

    Just like the annual top 25 final NCAA football rankings... Notre Dame is nowhere to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want this kid in our class bad. Definitely has the makings of a Michigan Man and a stud TE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brent Celek is pretty sweet. Doesn't get enough love, IMO.

    Here's hoping Michigan pulls this kid in. Seems like a high-character guy and we have DOOM at tight end next year.

    ReplyDelete