Thursday, January 26, 2012

TTB Ratings: Reason Behind the Ratings

Farmington Hills (MI) Harrison DE Mario Ojemudia made a significant
jump in the new TTB ratings

Yesterday I posted the new TTB Ratings for Michigan's class of 2012 (which I reserve the right to change until after Michigan's recruiting class is completed), and obviously, there were some significant changes for a few players.  A couple kids have moved up or down a few points, but today I'll try to explain the reasons behind the biggest movers.

Ondre Pipkins - NT - Kansas City (MO) Park Hill
Pipkins moved up from an 82 to a 90.  I was impressed with Pipkins' performance in the Army All-American Bowl.  He looked to me to be a little bit out of shape, but I guess 330-pound defensive tackles rarely look like they're in shape.  However, when he had the gas to go 100%, he was a terror.  He also showed good athleticism in chasing down quarterback Chad Voytik and wide receiver Stefon Diggs, causing a fumble against the latter.  Pipkins dominated the high school competition in Kansas City, but doing it against elite competition suggests that he'll be able to have success in the Big Ten, too.

Joe Bolden - MIKE - Cincinnati (OH) Colerain
Bolden moved up from a 77 to an 88.  I was slightly disappointed that Bolden couldn't bring down a few more ballcarriers in the Under Armour All-American Game, but he was the week's best tackler in practice and he was very good at diagnosing plays.  I've always liked his decisiveness and intelligence, but he showed throughout the season and the all-star game that he has the speed and athleticism to be a very good Big Ten linebacker.  He needs to add weight and he would benefit from a redshirt year so he can improve his upper body strength.

Jehu Chesson - WR - St. Louis (MO) Ladue Horton Watkins
Chesson moved up from a 77 to an 87.  As I consider the future of Michigan's offense under Brady Hoke and Al Borges, I realize the value of a jump-ball guy like Chesson.  He's excellent at high-pointing the ball and catching it with his hands, and that bodes well for his future for Michigan.  He looks like an Adrian Arrington clone, and without another downfield threat on the squad, he could be that guy who can stretch the field as soon as next season.

Mario Ojemudia - WDE - Farmington Hills (MI) Harrison
Ojemudia moved up from a 67 to a 78.  Ojemudia played defensive end/outside linebacker in the Marine game, and his performance wasn't very impressive . . . but since he mostly played defensive tackle in high school, I'm going to give him a little bit of a pass.  One of his strengths is getting off the ball quickly, and without the ball right under his nose, his reaction time was affected negatively.  However, his senior highlight film shows a guy who can use his hands to get off blocks, and he reminds me of the freshman version of Frank Clark.  Those two are very similar players, and Ojemudia looks like he'll be able to fill that weakside end position nicely.

Blake Bars - C - Nashville (TN) Montgomery Bell
Bars dropped from a 71 to a 62.  I wasn't extremely high on Bars to begin with, because he seems a little slow-footed and doesn't seem like a great athlete.  He looks like more of a backup and maybe a late-career starter as a tackle, but now that Caleb Stacey has decommitted in favor of Cincinnati, that might require the 6'5" Bars to play center.  Since he lacks experience at the position and because of his lack of quickness, I think he might struggle inside.

Jeremy Clark - FS - Madisonville (KY) North Hopkins
Clark moved up from a 49 to a 59.  When I first heard about Clark and saw film on him, I thought he might be a big fish in a small pond.  But the more film I saw of him, the more I think he can make an impact at the next level.  He's a lanky kid who gets by on athleticism, so I think college is going to be a bit of a wake-up call for him.  He probably won't be the type who comes in and lights the world on fire.  He'll have to improve his pursuit angles and he'll have to become a more fundamental tackler, but his height (6'4") and flat-out speed should provide a nice athlete on the back end to work with for four or five years down the road.

Kaleb Ringer - WILL - Clayton (OH) Northmont
Ringer dropped from a 64 to a 39.  As you might be able to tell from his original rating of 64, I wasn't too high on Ringer from the start.  However, the more that I have seen and heard of Ringer, the more I'm concerned about him remaining with the program.  I do think he has the physical talent to be a backup, but let's face it - guys from every recruiting class get lost in the shuffle, become career backups, transfer, etc.  My gut feeling on Ringer is that he'll be one of those guys, especially with all the other talent at linebacker in the 2012 class.

2 comments:

  1. What about Wormley's rating? I recall you mentioning that you were going to move him up in the rankings after you had seen his newest film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was/am torn on Wormley. I've heard various rumblings on him, and I just don't know if he's the type of player who will fit with this coaching staff. There have been questions about his motor (that have shown up on film, too), and Hoke/Mattison will NOT tolerate players who take plays off. I also think Wormley reached a point where he just wasn't aggressive anymore. It's interesting because Wormley was a guy who I would have rated highly after his sophomore season, but his junior film was mediocre. And even though he put up impressive stats as a senior, it would be hard not to when you're surrounded with the talent there is at Whitmer and when you're 6'5" and around 270 lbs. Wormley has a chance to be good if the questions about his motor are unfounded, because the physical talent is there...but I just couldn't bring myself to rate him higher when it came down to it.

      Delete