Tuesday, August 6, 2024

2024 Season Countdown: #59 Christian Boivin

 

Christian Boivin (image via MGoBlue)

Name: Christian Boivin
Height: 
6’0″
Weight: 
225 lbs.
High school: 
Traverse City (MI) West
Position: 
Linebacker
Class: 
Redshirt junior
Jersey number: 
#40
Last year: 
I ranked Boivin #89 and said he would be a backup linebacker and special teamer (LINK). He blocked a punt and made 9 tackles.
TTB Rating:
 N/A

I thought I gave a walk-on linebacker a pretty solid ranking last year when I put Boivin at #89. It turns out I ranked him too low. The special teams expert blocked a punt in a tight game against Maryland, which resulted in a safety, and he also made 9 total tackles, including one where he crushed a Nebraska returner:

Back in the spring, new linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary said Boivin was getting more of a look at linebacker. He's up to 225 pounds, which is still on the lighter side, but it's closer to a playable weight.

I don't really expect Boivin to play much defense. The Wolverines have too many scholarship guys with experience and size advantages, but Boivin might be able to step in just in case there's an injury or two. At the very least, he should continue to be a special teams demon.

Prediction: Backup linebacker and special teams player

4 comments:

  1. Fun to see a walk on and special teamer this high on the list. Maybe lightning will strike twice and he'll be on highlights once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess I should say the lightning already struck twice. Keep em coming young fella!

      Delete